RECON = SUSTAINABLE
CLIMATE CHANGE IMPACT
Using reconditioned packaging reduces CO2- and other greenhouse gas emissions up to 80% compared to the new packaging. This has been demonstrated by several international life cycle analyses (LCA).
LIFE CYCLE ANALYSIS
An LCA looks at the total environmental impact of a product from cradle to grave. This process starts with the extraction of the raw materials and ends with waste processing. All intermediate phases of production, transport and others are included in the analysis. In this way, it is possible to gain insight into the product-related environmental impact at each stage of the life cycle of the product in question.
Approximately 85% of the climate change impact in the production of 200L steel drums is related to the raw material. Of the remaining 15%, about 10% is related to the production, about 3% is related to transport (assuming ca 300km transport) and about 2% is related to other things.
IMPACT COLLECTION & RECONDITIONING
Of the main factors that contribute to the reduction of CO2- and other greenhouse gas emissions from industrial packaging, raw materials therefore account by far for the largest share. Consequently, it is not so much the reduction of sheet thickness, reduction of energy consumption in production or reduction of the number of transport kilometres that have an impact. It is mainly the collection and reconditioning of packaging that determine the climate change impact.
DRUMDRUM CAN HELP YOU
to become a more sustainable company.
DRIVE THE CIRCULAR ECONOMY
'TAKE, MAKE & DISPOSE' MODEL
In a linear economy, products are made new from raw materials and are thrown away after use. Such a model creates waste and a shortage of raw materials. What we dump or burn after use is gone forever. This is the 'take, make & dispose' model.
A circular economy stresses the importance of keeping products in use for as long as possible. Therefore, products should be re-used as long as possible. Once their maximum value has been used, raw materials should be recycled so that the material can be re-used. It is said that a linear economy will further damage our world, while a circular economy reduces the impact of production and use, significantly reduces waste and greatly reduces the pressure on the use of raw materials. This is a regenerative, natural loop model in which there is virtually no waste.
CIRCULAR VS. LINEAR ECONOMY
To achieve models that are sustainable, the circular economy focuses on concepts such as eco-design, systems thinking and product life extension by re-using products and recycling materials at the end of the life cycle.
Where other sectors often find it difficult to (begin to) use a circular model, in industrial packaging the circular model exists for many years and is a tried and tested concept.
DRUMDRUM CAN HELP YOU
Due to the strong visual aspect associated with the use of steel drums, we can help you show your customers and the outside world that you are taking care of sustainability.
WHAT ABOUT DRUMDRUM?
DRUMDRUM chooses for sustainability:
- Control of the amount and type of energy: 100% green electricity and carbon neutral gas is used.
- Over 1500 solar panels are installed on the factory roofs so that over 10% of the electricity is generated sustainably.
- The heat from various afterburners is recovered and re-used.
- The vast majority of the waste is used by approved waste processors for heat recovery or material recycling.
- All the water of the production site is collected (the entire production site is hardened) and monitored before discharge.
- The process water is largely re-used after purification in the water treatment system.
- Numerous noise and odor reduction measures have been carried out on the installations.
- Emissions are treated according to environmental standards and the best available technologies where necessary (by 4 afterburners, 2 gas scrubbers and an activated carbon filter). The emissions of the thermal treatment plant are continuously monitored, with regular reporting to the authorities.
- DRUMDRUM only recycles industrial packaging after treatment.
DRUMDRUM cares for the health and safety of its employees.
DRUMDRUM complies with environmental laws and regulations.
DRUMDRUM is ISO-14001 certified and achieved the highest EcoVadis rating by for its sustainibility performance: the platinum rating.
DRUMDRUM has a hotline to report nuissance that could be experienced in the area . The number of this hotline is 051 26 58 25. Also accessible by mail: reporting to DRUMDRUM per mail.